Tuesday, April 21, 2009

2nd day

Today is so much better than yesterday.. But somethings didn't change.. I'm still having problem with my neckerchief. Today wasn't late, was early in fact.. My attire was perfect, finally.


So we went into our super cool culinary theatre where we watched the chef demostrates to us. Today's was about stocks. Chicken stock (clear) and brown stock.. We also learned about sachet de'pice (spices tied into a sachet) and mirepoix (medium diced veg). While watching, we had a lecture about stocks and bones.. As the stocks are boiling, the bones are browning, the mirepoix is caramelising, the smell makes me very hungry.. Aromatic.


After the demostration, we are split into two groups. We cleaned up the demostration counter (a small kitchen area in the theatre) and went for lunch. Today I did bring a lock. I found many empty lockers. Guess what? They can't be locked! So I share locker with Xq.. However, we have different breaks.. So just like yesterday, I can't use my money. Great.


During the break, I found a locker which can be locked. But I'm not telling you the number.. Its BOOKED by me.. Haha. After lunch we went to practice knife skills. Yup, we cut carrots again and show our homework.. We cut large dice, medium dice, and small dice. Chef said I've improved from yesterday and my trimming is very good. I got a B! :)


After that, we went to make our stocks. We didn't print the recipes so we had to copy down.. Then we had some problem reading the recipes.. Anyway.. My chicken stock had too much water so its even more bland than it already is and I stirred when I was not supposed to, so it was cloudy not clear. Another thing is, despite the fact that I skim alot, its still too oily even though it gives more flavour. So I've to take note of that next time.. My brown stock was okay.. So overall I got 6/10. Not great. Just passed. Sigh. I hope tomorrow chicken broth and onion soup will be better..


Oh ya. I was so tired today that I almost fall asleep while cleaning after cooking.. -.-" But we had homework. I heard that we had homework (veg cuts everyday). Today is Julienne (3mmX3mmX5cm) and Batonnete (6mmX6mmX6cm). The picture below shows my homework. The length is almost perfect but.... The shape is not exactly square.. Perfect square is not easy.. I will try harder.. Wish me luck!