Friday, May 29, 2009

Day 28

So I was told that my blog is all about school.. Its true in a way but not exactly.. But now my life really revolve around school. Well, its more about food. The fun of cooking.. :) Hehe. I love food and cooking so :D Bear with me! I will write about something else too (:

Anyway.. Back to "school" again.. Hehe. Today is the last day at fabrication.. The topic today is seafood. The first thing I did when I went into the outlet is open the box that contain the crab. I was extremely surprised to found them gone with 2 legs left behind.

When our chef told us that the crabs escaped and told us to look for them, we all panic. And start to hunt for the crabs only to realised that it was in the sink. -.-" We start by preparing the most important thing.. The prawns for top table event.. It was completed quickly as is easy to do.

Next we move to the main focus of the whole day.. Crab. Live ones. And of course, we have to kill them. First we have a demo on how to kill them.. Differentiating the dead and the live ones. I had problem with the crab right from the start.. I think the main reason is I scare the crab pinch me..

Another reason is.. The crab that I got was the last one, and its hyper active! Extremely scary. I don't dare to take it out of the sink cause it keeps moving and staring at me :( Then my life savior help me take it out from the sink! Yeah~ I quickly take and walk to my board, throughout the short distance.. It kept struggling. (!!!!)

On the chopping board, it tried to run away. I had a hard time protecting myself and keeping it on the board.. We were supposed to kill it in one cut so that it dies fast without suffering much.. But this particular crab that I got, refused to die. Then I have to keep chopping it and asking for help. Due to time constrain, we can't fabricate it after it died. So while its still sort of alive, we remove the shell.. (Its still struggling.. -.-)

After remove the shell, we tear off the legs.. But it moved so many times that I have to keep throwing it on the board to protect myself.. o.o Finally, the crab died. Then I wash it and keep in the fridge.. The battle last very long.. I hope I will not have to kill crabs again..

After crabs, is squid. Chef demo how to remove the mantle from the head, the quill, ink sac, tentacles and remove the skin. Then we were told to show him how to do it. It was fun and quite easy but removing ink sac require a skill as you have to prevent the ink from flowing out.

We also learnt how to cut the squid in such as a way that it looked like a flower after cooked and the squid rings. We tested the flower to see if it curls the right way by blanching it. With the chef special sauce, we taste the squid. Though was cold, it taste good :) Despite the fact that I don't really like squid.. Haha.

Lunch I had maggie soup. I regretted it. I should have mee rebus instead. Just realised that we can actually upsize it! From now on, my lunch will be that.. But next week is school holidays for others, so what if the canteen didn't open? Can we cook for ourselves? ^^

There's a buffet from garde manger, quite alot of variety of food. Finger foods. Taste great except for the goat cheese which I don't really like.. I didn't get to try the tomato cold soup which taste like pasta sauce though..

Right after lunch, we prepare mise en place for the chef to cook chili crabs, black pepper crabs and fried squid! I just realised that crabs is soooo easy to cook. And the recipes is created by the chef! Taste heavenly. I love the chili crab, especially the sauce! You'll be addicted to it too. So we ate at the family table and share our food with the rest of the production students.. I also had a tortilla something that taste like roti prata, ice cream from sugarloaf! (Outer layer - ice cream, inner - shebert) If only I have more time, there's leftover of ice creams! (I asked chef today how much does the ice cream machine cost, she say a few hundreds for family size.. I'm going to save for it!!!) Oh ya, we also had the salmon belly from yesterday, it was very oily, but tasted great when is hot.

Lastly is te oysters. We have to shuck them. The worst thing is, we have to eat them live after we open their shell!!!! I so not into raw food.. Last week had a slice of raw salmon, today oyster.. But I must admit, it smell fresh, the texture is very frim and crunchy in a way.. But I still don't enjoy eating :( With this, it sums up my week at the fabrication outlet. Next week is buffet! Yeah~ Plus lecture.. :(