Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Day 31

Day 31, we still don't have much to do today... Yet, I'm still very tired and sleepy..

I woke up late today.. Rush out, missed 4 bus.. Including the 6.30 8 and 59 and 6.45 8 and 59.. -.-" So I waited till 6.50 plus then I board 8.. Throughout the whole journey, the bus kept stopping due to traffic light and moved very slowly.. Make me even more nervous.. I thought today I would be late for the 1st time.. When reaching Eunos, I saw alot of taxi around empty.. At that time, its already 7.25am.. And we've to report in like 20mins time? So I took the risk and went down to flag a taxi.. Luckily, one came just as I hopped out of 8.. Reached school at 7.31.. Spent $6.75.. At least I wasn't late.. Phew.. I broke the record today by finish changing and getting ready to report in 4mins! Haha. Though I can change fast, I think I rather to have more time.. Rushing is bad for my health. Will suffer from heart attack.. -.-"

When we go down to the production kitchen, we measure the rice required for paella and set aside.. Then remove the beards for the mussels.. Remove the intestines from the prawns.. And prepare chicken consomme. Chef taught us how to use the robot coupe today.. Its also known as the food processor.. Quick and easy way to cut brunoise.. 

We add mirepoix, minced meat and egg white to the big pot.. Pour chicken stock and chicken consomme into the pot. (The chicken consomme was being defrosted so we used it, so the consomme we did today is double consomme ^^) It was extremely clear.. We tasted it with and without seasoning, it was very different.. After seasoning with sea salt, the taste was enhanced.

Before break, we tried the seafood paella done by one of our instructors.. As its a spanish dish, saffron was used. I don't really like the taste and smell of saffron so I didn't enjoy the dish.. So I went to steward instead.. Chef show us how to pan fry the salmon for the buffet tomorrow.. It looks very easy but can be easily burnt.. The root vegetables that goes along with it was seasoned with cajun spice.. It was too spicy for me..

After break, chef demo how to make the paella. The most important thing in the dish is cooking the rice well.. You can add any ingredients to it, but its not a paella if your rice fail. Anyway, its a must to taste.. So I tasted the paella, again. Surprisingly, the taste of saffron is mild, I almost couldn't taste it at all, which is great. (: This make up for the lunch I skipped earlier on..

Then we have nothing to do again.. So we prepare the equipment for tomorrow and clean up the area.. Garde manger brought us some caesar salad to taste with croutons. For a non salad fan like me, I find the taste just nice. The dressing is appropriate and tasted good. Tomorrow there's so many salad out there, I think I will be looking forward to try all.. (:

There's so much to see and eat tomorrow.. Can hardly wait! Luckily we were allowed to bring our phone upstairs to take pictures.. I can't find my camera anywhere.. So this is a extremely good piece of news.. Haha. 

10 more days! Hope it will be a happy one..