Monday, May 11, 2009

Day 15

Today is one of those days where I really wanna study.. Woke up feeling tired, cause i got a shock thats why I woke up.. Today's whole day is lecture.. About Asian cuisine.. The chef who lectured us was very entertaining.. Which is the most possible reason for me not falling asleep despite my tiredness.. In fact, I felt very energetic and was paying full attention throughout the whole lecture.. And the tutorial after school.. I'm such a hardworking student.. HAHA!

However, the class today was different from the past 3 weeks.. Many people are absent from school.. And the class is surprisingly noisy. Hello~ We're lucky enough to have a chef like him teaching us, if your don't want to pay attention, people like me wants to. Besides, those things that he said, will come out in test. Count me out if your intend to fail. -.-" This also shows me something.. I didn't concentrate enough to block out all the disruption. Sigh. But at least I copied now most of the things he said and on the slides, so I still gain :B

Anyway, back to the lecture. We learnt about Asian cuisine today.. China, the "mother cuisine", Vietnam & Thailand for seasoning and balancing taste, Japan for the konbu and umami, India for her spices. The way the lecture goes, its fun and yet educational.. We learnt the "stir fry dance" and watch the chef demo a stir fry dish.. It was delicious! UMAMI! Haha. The sauce is really addictive.. The chicken is very tender, so does the onions. I'm not sure how to describe the taste, but its great! Its hard to forget the taste, once you tried this, others is not so satisfying. Haha.

Then the lecture continues to Japan with its konbu (seaweed) and umami (deliciousness), we learnt how to prepare a dashi (Japanese stock) which is pretty simple.. It taste of konbu? Haha.. We also tried bonito flakes which is dried sliced tuna.. It is also one of the ingredient for making a dashi, the backbone of Japanese cuisine :)

After a short break and some lecture on Thailand and Vietnam cuisine, we tried to balance our fish sauce using sugar, lime juice, garlic and chili. Believe it, the process is not what you can imagine.. First, we dump all the garlic and chili into the fish sauce. Taste: Salty and spicy. Then we add 1/2 tsp of sugar. And we were told to taste. Sweetness? NO WAY! It tasted more salty but less spicy. It turned out that the more sugar we add, the more salty it become. How to balance? Then we add lime juice. Saltier, less spicy and a little sour. Still no sweetness.. We were told to adjust the taste using lime juice and sugar till we get the taste that we want.. (Which is very long later)

We went to visit India next. We've identify some spices and the chef prepared a standard Garam Masala for us to taste. It was spicy and hot. But not to the extend that you will breathe out fire.. Haha. After "visiting" the Asian countries, we'll be "going" to the western countries tomorrow.. And we'll also be learning about fabrication. Looks like there are more food to be eaten! YEAH~

Well, as today's lesson plan is only the lecture, we ended quite early.. 1 plus close to 2pm.. We thought of pushing the tutorial at 5pm forward but we couldn't reach our tutor.. So we went to the computer lab to play the game for basic entrepreneurship. The only challenge that I see is looking for a computer in the lab.

The game is not challenging enough, the story is quite meaningless. Wait, is there even a story? I think is just selling the product you chose.. You really just sit there and click buttons. And you can actually don't do anything at all just skip the whole day. You'll still earn money that way.. As long as you have enough supplies.. How fun can that be? We have to complete at least 30days.. I've reached day 56 in 1hr plus? Oh, I sell ice cream by the way.. Haha. Its expected from me :) Compare to all those time management games that I played, this don't really seems like a game to me.. They should improve on the game play.. And the graphics.. Its like you don't see anything besides numbers, a computer, calculator, fax machines, clock, ice cream, table, graphs and some shadows with words who is your customers. -.-" Luckily, I've already completed more than what is required. This means that I no longer have to touch that "game" again. YEAH~

You've come to the end of day 15. I'm going to complete my report for basic entre now.. :)

PS: People you have to submit your menu for commis chef challenge in 14days time. WAHAHAHA~ 9 different recipes, no repetition of ingredients!