Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Day 19

The 1st operation day.

Basically, today, we did nothing but stocks and more stocks. Mirepoix and more mirepoix. And maybe something a little different. We make the tortilla for tomorrow.. And it can be considered a failure. Cause they fall apart after taking out from the pan, if not burnt. -.-"

We made alot of stock and picage.. As we fail the tortilla, we had to make them again on Tues. Sad. But after 2 days, I can say I master the art of cutting mirepoix and cooking stocks. Seriously, besides these 2 plus the tortilla, we didn't do anything else..

Oh yes. How can I forgot? Food tasting! We tried the dory al'ordy or whatever the name is and the pork cutlet. Haha. The dory is cooked just nice. Perfect colour and taste.. Thy pork.. I don't really like it.. Kinda dry and raw? We sat at the family table and share the two plate of one portion food. There's 15 of us. Haha.

Really. Nothing much except the fact that I was sous chef again and got scolded for more than 20times and got called by the chef for more than 30times. I got a new name. Daffine. Haha. At least it sound nice.. Hehe. Never mind, I know its me that she's calling so doesn't really matter? Another chef call my name which sounds like dolphin. Haha! So cute.

Stocks, mirepoix and tortilla sums up Monday. I'm having Monday blues.. Cause that is the day where I become the sous chef. Sobs. I'm so not looking forward to that sous chef part. But I get to learn more than the rest when I got scolded for checking things, ensuring memebers work fast and asking questions that sound a little stupid.. Haha. At least I clear my doubts so ITS OKAY!

Its quite hectic during 10.15 to 2pm.. Cause that is the operation hours of sugarloaf. Chef don't even have time to check on us. From after briefing, we're on our own. I'm in charge, but I not sure what to do.. After lunch, the chef is more free then she spot check on us. And I got scolded for the untidiness of the stations. And for cutting the mirepoix the whole day!

At the end of the day, I wrote down the duties for the sous chef tomorrow on the white board and went to lock the doors..

During debrief, she says that we did so many stocks and mirepoix, even when we close our eyes we can execute them perfectly.. The way she says is really funny.. Haha. But quite true, we really practiced alot.. Haha. She also mention something which makes me very interested in..

The academy is expanding! The restuarant will be bigger by 2times! The skills kitchen will expand out too! So everybody can have a station of their own, most probably.. Then the condo next door, some of the rooms will be converted to classrooms! And there will also be a toilet upstairs! No more going all the way down just to use the washroom. The best part is, next year during October, our course will have a degree course! Yeah! And we, have the advantage and higher chances of getting into it. :) This is the first time you will hear me say that I'm interested to further my studies. Hehe. I was hoping to start work once I graduate.. Hmmm.. There might be a change of plan now..

They also have plans for the students to do their intern in school and get paid! Wow. So if I can't go overseas, doing in school also quite cool. Although we have the advantage, the space is still limited. However, after asking who want to be a chef after graduation, only 5 of us (including me) raise hands. Its kind of a good thing to me cause less competition. Hehe. But chef say to us, can we survive in the industry for 5years.. Later we found a rich guy/girl and get married then forget all about being a chef. Haha! Sound like a fairytale.. Though these kind of thing is really unpredictable, but, I don't think it will happen to me anyway..

This is a long and tiring day.. Although we only do 3 tasks, its not as easy as you think.. Removing fats from chickie, boiling, strain, cool in ice bath, transport to chiller. -.-" Everytime go in, sure feel a little difficult to breathe and when I come out, my specs fog. Once I put a trolley in, then it got stucked. I almost fell. What a day!