Sunday, May 10, 2009

lack of ingredients :(

After looking through the baking and pastry book, I found out that there's alot of unknown ingredients in each recipe.. Even if I know what are they, I can't find it! So I think I can't bake today.. However, I can make sweets if I managed to find all ingredients :) No sure if will work though.. Hopefully it will!

Here's the recipe for those who are interested :D


Hard candies

Ingredients:
300ml water
765g sugar
156g glucose syrup
1g cream of tartar
colouring as desired
flavouring as desired

Yield:
120 pieces

Methods:
1. Lightly oil 1cm frame (20 by 30cm)
2. Combine the water and sugar in a heavy-bottomed saucepan and bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Stir in glucose syrup and cream of tartar and, if using, add powdered or liquid colouring as desired. Return syrup to a boil.
3. Continue to cook, without stirring, occassionally washing down the sides of the pan using a wet pastry brush, until the mixture reaches 145 degrees celsius.
4. Immediately pour into the prepared frame. Allow to cool for 3mins, then add paste colouring, if using, and the desired flavouring and fold into the sugar.
5. While still hot and pliable, pull out and twist the sugar until satiny in appearance (twisting multiple colours is also possible). Snip into small candies with sharp scissors. Allow to cool.
6. Store in an airtight container.

Note: Add the flavouring according to the manufacturer's instructions.

* This recipe can be found in CIA baking & pastry pg 736. For more recipes, either purchase the book or borrow from library.. Hehe. *

I'm not trying to promote anything, I just feel that this book is great for those who are interested in going into the pastry line.. Cause besides recipes, there's also how to identify ingredients, equipments and more.. School library should have at least 1 copy.. Please don't ask me to bring to school.. My bag is heavy enough.. Haha..